RECIPE BY KEVIN O'CONNOR JUNE 12th, 2020
It’s hard to get more summery than sunflower seeds and summer squash. These two pair well together with lots of EVOO and some creamy goat cheese.
- For the sunflower seeds:
- 2/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon California Classic EVOO
- ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 5 small mixed summer squash
- 2 tablespoons California Classic EVOO
- 6oz soft goat cheese crumbles
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Handful of sunflower sprouts
- A pinch of smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by toasting the sunflower seeds in a dry pan over medium low heat, stirring the seeds occasionally. This should take about five minutes. Add the EVOO, salt and smoked paprika to the pan with the seeds and toss well to combine. Allow the seeds to toast with the seasoning for an additional minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the summer squash in to bite sized pieces. Heat a large cast iron pan to medium high with two tablespoons of EVOO. Add the squash and allow the pieces to cook and caramelize before stirring. It should take about two minutes before tossing and cooking for another two – three minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and a few cracks of fresh pepper. Add the lemon juice, toss to combine, and remove from the heat.
- To serve, place the squash in a serving dish and scatter the sunflower seeds and goat cheese crumbles over the top. Finish with a sprinkling of the sunflower sprouts and an additional pinch of smoked paprika.