A delicious and easy southern comfort meal.
Kerrie Kelly’s tuna tartare’s Asian flavors of ginger, soy, pepper and lime juice are added to this appetizer to highlight the clean, silky taste of the tuna. The scattering of sesame seeds delivers a nice crunch balanced by avocado..
3 3⁄4 lbs very fresh tuna steaks
1 1⁄4 cups Cobram Estate Olive Oil
5 limes, zest
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from those you zested)
2 1⁄2 teaspoons wasabi powder
2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
2 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
1 1⁄4 cups minced scallions
¾ teaspoon peeled and minced ginger
3 1⁄4 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeno peppers, seeds removed
5 ripe Hass Avocados
1 1⁄2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Cilantro for garnish
- Cut the tuna into 1/4-inch dice and place it in a very large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, wasabi, soy sauce, hot red pepper sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the tuna, add the scallions and jalapeno, and mix well.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the seed, and peel.
- Cut the avocados into 1/4-inch dice.
- Carefully mix the avocado into the tuna mixture; so that the lime juice covers them. (To prevent discoloration).
- Add the toasted sesame seeds, and season to taste.
- Allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator for at least 1-hour for the flavors to blend.
- Serve on crackers and enjoy!